Thursday, June 24, 2021

Najib’s 1MDB trial postponed again

The hearing has been pushed to Thursday as his lawyer says he has yet to recover from an eye surgery which he underwent last week.

Other News

The hearing of Najib Razak’s 1MDB case, which was scheduled to resume today, has been vacated to Thursday as the former prime minister has not yet recovered from an eye surgery he underwent last week.

Najib’s lead counsel Muhammad Shafee Abdullah informed presiding judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah, when proceeding started today, that his client had yet to recover from the surgery.

“His (Najib’s) doctor has advised him to take further rest. The swelling around the eyes has reduced, but the puffiness and redness are still there.

“Najib has consulted a doctor and the doctor advised him to take a rest accordingly. He will see his doctor again tomorrow,” he said.

Sequerah then vacated today’s trial to Thursday.

He also ordered the prosecution and defence teams to ensure that only a few of their supporters occupy the courtroom during the proceeding this Thursday, to comply with the SOPs to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Najib, 67, faces four charges of using his position to obtain bribes totalling RM2.3 billion from 1MDB funds and 21 charges of money laundering involving the same amount.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles