The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) today announced that the government is extending the lease for Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Convent Bukit Nanas (CBN) another 60 years.
In a statement, the PMO said the government had agreed to extend the lease after taking into consideration the importance of CBN’s contributions to education in the country since its inception in 1899.
“This approval is given only for educational purposes,” it added.
It said the chief secretary to the government and the Federal Territory Land and Mines director had met with Theresa Chua, Lady Superior of the Society of Saint Maur who represented the governing body of the school, following which an agreement was made.
The school’s lease had been due to expire on Sept 6.
Initial news that the lease would not be renewed had led to fears that the school would be demolished.
Federal Territory Land and Mines director Muhammad Yasir Yahya later assured that this would not take place, adding that the land would be reverted to the government so that CBN could be gazetted as a fully funded school.
This was met with opposition from parents who said they saw no need to change the status quo.
They also questioned if CBN could maintain its standards if it were to become a fully funded government school.