Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Selangor govt assures investigation underway into settlers’ land ownership complaints

It says there will be no compromise on any element of corruption or abuse of power found at any level.

Other News

The Selangor government today assured that an investigation is underway into the complaints of settlers in Tanjung Pasir, Bestari Jaya, who say issues concerning land ownership have been ongoing for more than 40 years.

It also said there would be no compromise on any element of corruption or abuse of power found at any level.

“Internal investigations and detailed reviews are being conducted by the Selangor land and mines office,” it said in a statement issued by Juwairiya Zulkifli, the political secretary to Selangor Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari.

“The state government is ready and willing to cooperate fully with the authorities.”

The settlers have been seeking to meet with Amirudin over their problems, saying they have been working on oil palm plantations since 1967 but have yet to receive ownership grants.

In a protest earlier this week, they said they had heard that two private companies had been granted a lease of 21 years for around 200 acres of land.

They said they had been asking for grants since 2004, to no avail, and had sent letters to the menteri besar’s office last year.

There are currently 400 settlers in Tanjung Pasir.

In its statement, the Selangor government said appropriate action would be taken against any offenders.

“The state government will not hesitate to take appropriate action and will not protect any offenders in order to uphold the principles of reform based on transparency and accountability for all,” it said.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles