Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Putrajaya on alert after cyberattack threat

A group calling itself 'Anonymous Malaysia' has threatened to carry out cyberattacks on government websites and online assets, saying authorities are ignoring data security.

Other News

The National Security Council (NSC) has warned all government agencies to be on their guard against cyberattacks, following a recent threat to government websites.

In a statement issued through the National Cyber Security Agency (Nacsa), government agencies were alerted to a video on social media posted by “Anonymous Malaysia”.

“The government is very concerned and is prioritising the security of its information technology infrastructure and the country’s crticial systems by outlining actions to strengthen the information technology system, including improving the knowledge and skills of relevant officials,” the statement said.

This comes after a group of hackers calling itself “Anonymous Malaysia” said it would carry out cyberattacks on government websites and online assets.

In a video, it accused authorities of ignoring data security, saying it had caused a breach of personal data.

“They were unwilling to recognise and learn from their mistakes. It has been a long time that we have been silent. It’s time we opened your eyes.

“We are legion, we do not forgive, we do not forget. Expect us,” said a person in the video wearing a Guy Fawkes mask.

Last year, Putrajaya launched the Malaysia Cyber Security Strategy (MCSS), which among others aims to enhance the management of the country’s cyber security and to strengthen related laws and enforcement.

In 2017, a massive data breach saw the information of more than 46 million mobile phone subscribers leaked on to the dark web.

The leaked information included mobile numbers and home addresses.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles