Saturday, September 18, 2021

Iconic Penang ferry service to stay afloat

The government has approved an allocation of RM30 million for Penang Port to take over the service.

Other News

The iconic Penang ferry service will continue, Finance Minister Tengku Zafrul Aziz said today.

He said the federal government had approved an allocation of RM30 million for Penang Port to take over the ferry service.

“I confirm that the allocation, as previously approved, will be channelled in two instalments, the first being the RM15 million for 2021 included in the allocation that was approved under the Supply Bill 2021.

“Preparations will be made to channel the remaining RM15 million. The government will ensure that Penang Port continues with the Penang ferry service which is iconic and of heritage value,” he said when winding up the debate on the Temporary Measures for Government Financing (Coronavirus Disease 2019 [Covid-19][Amendment]) Bill 2020 in the Dewan Rakyat today.

Issues related to the Penang ferry service were raised by Lim Guan Eng (PH-Bagan) during the debate session on the bill.

Earlier, the Penang Port Commission had announced that the Penang ferry service, which has been operating for 126 years, would be replaced by speedboats from Jan 1.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles