Saturday, March 6, 2021

Personnel ‘acted a little out of bounds’, probe ongoing, says Armed Forces chief

Affendi Buang says preliminary action has already been taken in the matter.

Other News

Aktiviti sukan individu, berpasukan dibenarkan di kawasan PKPB, PKPP

Kebenaran itu tertakluk kepada arahan kawalan pergerakan yang sedang berkuat kuasa dan kebenaran pihak berkuasa berkaitan.

Malaysia catat 1,680 kes baru Covid-19 hari ini

Kes baru masih menunjukkan trend penurunan dengan catatan angka di bawah 2,000 kes.

Recoveries stay ahead as daily cases dip below 2,000

1,680 new cases, 2,548 recoveries.

Ahmad Maslan minta ahli Parlimen Umno, BN sokong PN hingga Parlimen bubar

Menurut Ahmad Maslan kerajaan ketika ini adalah kerajaan campuran.

Umno, BN MPs asked to support PN until Parliament dissolved, says BN sec-gen

He says this is crucial to ensuring that the government can fight the Covid-19 pandemic.

An investigation into reports of a man in uniform ordering a foreign worker to roll on the grass, video clips of which have gone viral on social media, remains ongoing, the Armed Forces said today.

Armed Forces chief Affendi Buang said preliminary action had already been taken, and that no member of the Armed Forces involved in any duty would act out of bounds.

“On the contrary, they will perform their assigned duties to protect the safety of the country as well as the public.

“We ask that members of the community as well as those under quarantine cooperate with the authorities,” he said at a press conference.

Affendi Buang. Photo: Bernama

Yesterday, MalaysiaNow reported that footage had surfaced of men in uniform employing brutal and inhumane tactics on migrant workers believed to be under quarantine for Covid-19.

One clip shows a man forcing a worker to roll on the grass while brandishing what looks like a rubber hose.

Another video shows two men beating a worker using a rubber hose and a stick.

Andy Hall, a migrant worker rights activist based in Nepal who has knowledge about the clips, told MalaysiaNow that both incidents happened in Meru, Klang.

Affendi said the personnel in question had acted “a little beyond bounds”.

“I know this member acted a little beyond bounds and I apologise about the matter.

“But at the same time, members of the Armed Forces do not behave as they please. If they did, surely many cases of assault would have taken place,” he said.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Tell Zahid no meetings, court says after quarantine sees trial postponed for third time

High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah says otherwise, the case will never conclude.

No apology, Umno man tells PM over quarantine remarks

Mohd Puad Zarkashi says he will not allow himself to be bullied by Muhyiddin Yassin.

Why the government should not deport Myanmar migrants

The risk of inadvertently breaching international legal obligations and causing undocumented workers to avoid getting vaccinated against Covid-19 are some of the reasons the government should rethink its plan.

Muhyiddin demands apology, RM10 million compensation over quarantine claims

His lawyers say legal action may be taken if the demands are not met in seven days.

Suhakam slams alleged police assault of civilian

The human rights commission says abuse of power is not warranted in any situation.