Thursday, February 25, 2021

Nora Anne’s mum criticises police at inquest

Meabh Quoirin says she became worried the police were not taking the family's concerns about criminal involvement in the case seriously.

Other News

Covax delivers first vaccine shipment in ‘momentous occasion’

Covax hopes to deliver more than two billion doses in less than a year to ensure 92 poorer countries will receive access to Covid-19 vaccines.

Johnson & Johnson vaccine ‘highly effective’ against severe Covid-19

In large clinical trials, the vaccine efficacy against severe disease was 85.9% in the US, 81.7% in South Africa, and 87.6% in Brazil.

Reaksi kepada kes Malaysiakini tunjukkan politik lebih berkuasa, bukan undang-undang

Keputusan mahkamah perlu dihormati oleh semua pihak tanpa sebarang pertikaian.

Kes baru Covid-19 kembali melebihi angka 3,000

Kes aktif dengan kebolehjangkitan pula berjumlah 30,677.

New cases above 3,000 again as deaths increase by 12

Death toll now at 1,088.

The mother of a teenager whose body was found in the jungle in Seremban told an inquest Wednesday the police response to her disappearance while on holiday had been slow and ineffective.

The body of Nora Anne Quoirin, a French-Irish 15-year-old with learning difficulties, was discovered unclothed last year after a massive hunt through the rainforest.

Authorities insist there was no foul play but her parents believe she was abducted, saying the teen would not have wandered off alone.

Testifying at the inquest into her death, Meabh Quoirin said she “immediately panicked” after realising her daughter was missing from the resort where their family were staying near Malaysia’s border with Thailand.

“I became increasingly stressed. The first thought that ran through my mind was that Nora had been taken,” she said via video-link.

Staff at the Dusun Resort began hunting for the teen – who was discovered missing from a chalet the day after arriving at the resort – and informed the police.

In the afternoon, a police officer arrived at the resort but the teen’s mother, who is unable to attend the inquest in person due to the coronavirus, said he “didn’t spend very much time there”.

“He had a dog with him and we were initially hopeful – and then absolutely distraught because it was very obvious that this dog was not fit for purpose… really old, really tired.”

Meabh said a police officer sent to interview her had a poor command of English and authorities did not want to continue searching after dark on the first day of the hunt, although they eventually agreed.

As the hunt dragged on for days, the search and rescue team expanded to include hundreds of personnel.

But Meabh said she became worried the police were not taking the family’s concerns about criminal involvement in the case seriously, noting that officials did not take fingerprints from their chalet for days.

Police, however, say they conducted a thorough probe and insisted at the start of the inquest in August there was no indication the teen was kidnapped.

The schoolgirl’s body was eventually found 10 days after she disappeared, not far from the resort.

An autopsy found that she had probably starved and died of internal bleeding after spending about a week in the rainforest – but her family pushed for the inquest, which is expected to continue into December.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Nora Anne’s family to file for revision of misadventure ruling

The family's lawyer says the application for revision will be filed at the Seremban High Court as soon as possible.

PKP di Seremban, Port Dickson bermula esok

PKP selama 14 hari itu dilaksanakan berikutan peningkatan mendadak kes positif Covid-19 di kawasan itu.

Nora Anne died by misadventure, coroner rules

Coroner Maimoonah Aid rules no one was involved in the death of the French-Irish teenager.

Nora Anne’s dad heard noises before she disappeared, inquest told

Sebastien Quoirin says he 'heard some muffled noise coming from the chalet' late at night on the day the family arrived.

Bekas peguam didakwa atas 8 pertuduhan penipuan

Mengikut pertuduhan pertama hingga kelima yang bacakan di hadapan Majistret Vanita, tertuduh didakwa menipu Jude Ignatius Lazaroo, 59, untuk melakukan pengeluaran wang komisen berjumlah RM4.36 juta daripada Bank Negara Malaysia dan berjanji akan memberi wang imbuhan untuknya sehingga mendorong mangsa memasukkan wang berjumlah RM17,400 ke dalam akaun CIMB Bank milik tertuduh, sedangkan pengeluaran wang komisen itu tidak wujud.