Saturday, February 27, 2021

After Agong’s reminder, Mat Sabu calls for change of govt, then retracts

The Amanah president retracts his statement seen as conflicting with a call by the Agong to desist from politicking.

Other News

Mengejek tak membantu perbaiki kelemahan bahasa Inggeris guru, kata pendidik

Mereka berkata, sebutan yang tidak tepat seharusnya dibetulkan secara positif, bukannya mengejek kerana ia tidak memperbaiki apa-apa.

Throwing stones won’t help, educationists say on teacher with ‘bad English’

They say mispronunciations should be corrected through positive reinforcement, and that mocking others for their English won't improve anything.

UK Supreme Court rejects legal bid by IS bride to return

Five judges at the Supreme Court gave a unanimous decision in the case of Shamima Begum, whose legal battles have come to be seen as a test of how Britain treat nationals who joined jihadists.

Khairy jelaskan mengapa tidak ambil vaksin Pfizer

Beliau merupakan menteri yang menguruskan pembelian vaksin dan masih belum mengambil suntikan vaksin Covid-19.

Duta AS baru lapor diri di Kuala Lumpur

Beliau mempunyai pengetahuan luas tentang Asia Tenggara dan pernah bertugas di Jakarta dan Seoul.

Amanah president Mohamad Sabu today called for the resignation of Muhyiddin Yassin to make way for a new government, only to later retract his statement.

The statement was originally posted on the Amanah Facebook page, less than an hour after the Yang di-Pertuan Agong praised the prime minister for his handling of the Covid-19 crisis.

“We demand that Muhyiddin Yassin resign honourably.

“MPs from different parties will seek the best way to form a government and save Malaysia and the people,” Mohamad, the former defence minister who is part of Pakatan Harapan, said in the statement.

Moments later, Amanah said the president had retracted the statement.

In a revised statement, Mohamad, popularly known as Mat Sabu, said he believed the Agong had acted with wisdom in deciding not to declare a state of emergency.

“Amanah heeds His Majesty’s command and will support all efforts to fight Covid-19, and promises to cooperate wholeheartedly,” he added.

Mohamad’s statement came despite a warning by Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah today against attempts to disrupt the government in its battle against Covid-19.

The ruler said he felt there was no need to declare a state of emergency to help authorities in efforts to fight Covid-19, saying Muhyiddin’s administration had so far done a good job of battling the deadly pandemic.

“That being the case, His Majesty would like to remind politicians to immediately cease all politicking that will disrupt the stability of the nation’s administration,” said a statement released by Istana Negara, shortly after a meeting of Malay rulers to discuss a proposal to declare an emergency in order to prevent snap polls.

Sultan Abdullah also reminded MPs that the budget to be tabled on Nov 6 was critical to restoring the economy ravaged by Covid-19.

“The financial allocations are much needed by the frontliners to ensure the smooth execution of their duties and responsibilities,” he said.

MalaysiaNow earlier reported that senior health officials had warned against any move to hold a general election during the pandemic, which has so far claimed 229 lives.

There are fears that any attempt to vote down the 2021 budget, to be tabled by Muhyiddin next month, could result in the collapse of the government and snap polls being called.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Throwing stones won’t help, educationists say on teacher with ‘bad English’

They say mispronunciations should be corrected through positive reinforcement, and that mocking others for their English won't improve anything.

Husband-wife van drivers can’t wait for schools to open again

Ismail Raja Mat and his wife Norhayati Muda have bills piling up and children who need to be fed.

Controversial highway project set to go ahead despite growing protests?

Critics say the PJD Link is almost identitcal to the Kidex project cancelled amid strong opposition in 2015.

March 15 hearing for Mat Sabu’s ex-aide

The prosecution is expected to call 37 witnesses.

Perbicaraan kes rasuah RM6.35 juta bekas SU politik Mat Sabu pada 15 Mac

Azhar berdepan dengan lima pertuduhan menerima dan meminta suapan berjumlah RM6.35 juta daripada sebuah syarikat kontraktor.