Saturday, January 23, 2021

Man accused of killing his baby carried into court after refusing to cooperate

Police say it's possible that he was involved in deviant teachings, and that he was said to have heard voices.

Other News

Covid-19 jeopardises a dream from Kuching slums

But young Albert is determined to become a doctor despite his home environment and the pandemic wreaking havoc on education across the country.

Covid-19 meragut mimpi anak-anak setinggan di Kuching

Namun Albert tetap nekad untuk menjadi seorang doktor walaupun serba kekurangan, dan Covid-19 mengganggu pembelajarannya.

Saluran TV khas bantu PdPR diwujudkan, kata menteri

Saluran baru itu akan bermula pada suku pertama tahun ini.

WHO says fabric face masks still work against virus variants

While some of the new varients may have increased transmissibility, the virus still spreads the same way, WHO says.

Severe reaction to Moderna vaccine ‘rare’, US study shows

The CDC says only 10 cases have arisen from more than four million first doses.

A man believed to have killed his eight-month-old baby, whose body was found smeared with salt and kept in a sack in a house in Bachok yesterday, had to be carried into court by five policemen after he refused to enter the premises for his remand proceedings today.

The police vehicle carrying the 40-year-old man arrived at the court complex at 9.20am, but he refused to get out, even after several police officers spent 10 minutes trying to persuade him.

One of them then pulled him out of the vehicle and five others picked him up and carried him to the courtroom.

Magistrate Mohd Dinie Syazwan Ab Shukor issued a seven-day remand order against the man starting today to facilitate further investigation into the baby’s murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code.

The man was arrested yesterday after police found the body of the baby covered with salt and kept in a sack underneath the kitchen table of a house in Kampung Sungai Dua, Melawi.

Kelantan police chief DCP Shafien Mamat said the post-mortem revealed that the baby had suffered head injuries possibly the result of a blow or fall.

He said the post-mortem was done at the Raja Perempuan Zainab II Hospital and completed at about 4am today.

Based on the way the baby had died, he said police did not rule out the possibility that the father had been involved in deviant teachings.

He said the man was also said to have heard voices, and had been hallucinating before committing the offence.

“Until now, the man has not spoken a word for us to record his statement,” he told reporters.

The baby’s 32-year-old mother, who had bruises on her body and was traumatised by the incident, was also arrested but sent to the Bachok Health Centre for treatment.

Shafien said the couple tested negative for drugs.

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/malaysianow

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news and analyses.

Related Articles

Aussie cops call elderly couple’s death a ‘terrorism incident’

The suspect threatened police with a knife before he was shot dead on a highway on the outskirts of Brisbane.

Singapore baby born with Covid-19 antibodies

The Singaporean mother had been hospitalised with mild Covid-19 while in Europe.

Ex-minister pardoned for 1982 murder dies

Mokhtar Hashim was convicted of murdering the then-Negeri Sembilan speaker but released from prison following a royal pardon.

Khashoggi fiancee sues Saudi prince in US over murder

Cengiz and human rights group DAWN said they filed the suit in Washington federal court because they saw no chance for justice in Saudi Arabia.

When sentences are a matter of life and death

Malaysia is one of 55 UN member countries that still use the death penalty.