Najib Razak’s 1MDB trial will resume on Oct 19 as the former prime minister is undergoing the two-week home quarantine after his return from Sabah where he had campaigned for the state election last month.
Lead counsel Muhammad Shafee Abdullah applied for the trial to be adjourned during case management before High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah today.
“My client tested negative on Sept 27 but it was guided by the minister of defence, Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
“In his social media posting, the minister said if you are positive, you should go to the hospital. However, if you are tested negative, but you were in close contact or exposed to the people who were infected, you are to adhere to the 14-day home surveillance order,” he said.
Shafee added that Najib had also taken an immune-boosting regime on Oct 3.
“He should be able to attend normal programmes on the 15th,” he said.
Deputy public prosecutor Mohamad Mustafa P Kunyalam raised no objection to the request for postponement, and Sequerah allowed the application.
“In light of the current situation, it is a bit of a risk. Normally in 13 days, the symptoms can manifest. I supposed I accept the request (to adjourn the trial). The trial is vacated from Monday to Thursday and we will resume on Oct 19,” he said.
Najib, 67, faces four charges of using his position to obtain bribes totalling RM2.3 billion from 1MDB funds and 21 charges of money laundering involving the same amount.